The first seeds have been sown! The Student Garden is located behind Barton House. There is a small shed (wolfshed?), a compost bin, a main in-ground bed, two large planters and a collection of pots and other containers.
Wolfson Senior Gardener Oscar Holgate has very kindly offered to help with the Garden, as has Chris Clarke, who created the main bed and planted the first seeds and bulbs (peas, broad beans, currants, onions & garlic). Many thanks to them both.
There are plenty of plans to develop the Garden over the next few weeks, including:
- regular Sunday afternoon gardening sessions
- provision of tools in a secure place
- removal of lawnmowers from the shed
- setting up a water butt
- creating a seating area
- adding compost or another soil amendment to the main bed
- procurement of potting soil for the two large planters
- sorting out the miscellaneous containers
- clearing the ivy from along the fence
- creating habitat for wildlife (hedgehogs especially)
- putting up a sign on the shed!