🌿 Make Wolfson College more 'Green'
Provide a platform for the holistic Wolfson community to address 'green'-issues in it's broadest sense, here at Wolfson College and the wider world.
🌿 Enable the conversation at Wolfson College
Encourage interested Wolfson members and groups, who otherwise wouldn't have a platform, to communicate collectively to take action and discuss points of interest.
🌿 Provide a trial platform for the College, University and others.
Trial initiatives, events and other collaborations. Please get in touch.
For more information, to get involved, or to sign up to our mailing list, please contact the Green Society President, Charlie Barty-King (chb50) or join our Facebook Group and ask a question. Failing that, please contact the WCSA Green Officer. We have members and interest from across the Wolfson College membership - students, fellows, staff, senior members and College senior management.
All welcome 🌿
> Check out Cambridge Universities Annual Sustainability reports here.
> Join the Engage for Change programme here.
> Green Impact challenge awards here.
Green Impact challenge
The Wolfson Green Impact team work to reduce environmental impacts at the College via the annual workbook provided by Green Impact for Cambridge Environment and Energy. The team consists of a mix of people from across the Wolfson membership. The 2020-2021 submission will be led by Domestic Bursar Darren Smith.
Wolfson College has previously been awarded with a Green Impact Gold award in 2017, 2018 and 2020.
Colleges and departments that best introduce and maintain a variety of green initiatives from sustainable gardening practices, to recycling, to reducing energy usage on site, to sustainable procurement, amongst many other categories, are ranked from bronze through the platinum based on a points system.
For research projects, check out our partner organisation - The Sustainability and Conservation Interdisciplinary Research Hub. (Webpage tba).
Michaelmas Term 2020
Click here to see the Michaelmas Term Card 2020.
Successes since our Feb 2020 foundation
- Setup and continuation of a termly lecture series Green Talks. All our recordings can be found in Wolfson's Media Collection.
- Green Impact Gold Award 2019-2020.
- Special Award for Student Leadership for Green Soc. president and founder Charlie Barty-King.
- Securing a keynote speech from Professor Sir David King at the Wolfson Research Event 2020, highlighting challenges in research and spotlighting the climate debate.
- Green Impact Awards will now be led from College management, rather than student-led.
- Introduction of an Item+Food drop on move out days towards the end-of-term; to repurpose, recycle, reuse and otherwise appropriately dispose of items and redistribute leftover food. The aim is to reduce the volume of items placed into the skip at the end of each frantic, termly move-out day.
- Excellent Wolfson-student application and success rates to the Cambridge Hub's Engage for Change programme.
- Many more on the way ;)