Maintenance Request Form
College members can file a request for maintenance or repairs via the online maintenance request form. The form will ask for a description of the problem as well as the urgency of the repair. You will receive an automatic email response to acknowledge your request, and a follow-up email when the defect has been fixed. If repairs are held up for any reason, you will also be notified by email.
Once you receive the email reporting that the defect has been fixed, your report is considered closed. If, after that, the defect has not been remedied, or it reappears, please report it again through the same maintenance request form. If you continue to experience issues, or if you are not receiving email notifications through the online form, you may escalate the issue to the Deputy Clerk Of Works.
If you encounter a hazardous or urgent issue in your accomodation or elsewhere on the College site, please report the issue via the online maintenance request form with the respective urgency level ("hazardous" or "as soon as possible"). The Maintenance Department is staffed from 8:00 to 16:30 Monday to Friday. In case of an emergency at any other time please contact the Porters' Lodge, either in person or by calling 01223-335900.
The maintenance team carry out regular works across the College (such as fire safety and legionella), which is legally required for health and safety purposes. The team endeavour to provide a week's notice to planned works that require entry to student rooms and will always give 24 hours notice, unless acting on an emergency or via a maintenance job request where it is necessary to address the problem more quickly. When undertaking this work, technicians will knock to alert occupants, and always within regular working hours.
- Details of planned works
- Water temperature testing is undertaken monthly as part of the L8Acop water regulations, this is undertaken by Jordan Environmental.
- Shower head cleaning takes place monthly and undertaken in house by our plumber Tim, students will be emailed weekly when their showerhead is due a clean.
- Monthly fire extinguisher checks across the site are undertaken by Alan Hawkins and access to flats is required for about 2 minutes and you will receive a knock at the door.
- Monthly emergency light testing is undertaken by the college Electrician Arthur Benfield and will not affect the students, you will receive a knock at your door when this takes place and an email when the full test takes place in August.
- Monthly fire door/lift inspections are undertaken monthly by Darien O’Brien the college carpenter and no access to rooms is required.
- Ventilation/cooker hood cleans, and filter changes take place in May and August and notification will be emailed to students when this takes place.
The baggage store allows students to leave a maximum of three boxes or suitcases each, depending on available space. The store is open for drop-off or collection between 11:30 – 12:00 midday from Monday to Friday. It may also open on a Saturday at the start and end of each term - these additional opening times will be sent out to students by email.
Wolfson does not recommend storing anything you will need urgently on your return to Cambridge, given the baggage store may not be open when you arrive. It is the student’s responsibility for storing their items and collection of their items. Size and content restrictions apply (download regulations).
The Maintenance Department are very keen to support the Sustainability Committee in their work to reduce the impact of the college site on the environment. To help with this, please remember to turn lights off when leaving a room and turn heating valves down to an appropriate level. Our team are always happy to demonstrate how the systems work to make sure your stay at Wolfson is as sustainable as possible.
The maintenance team is headed by Clerk of Works Neil Newman and his deputy David Rivers. Their office is located by H block and the Gym.
The Wolfson college Maintenance team members always wear a uniform, so you should be able to recognise them easily. All of the team also have University Photo ID badges, so if you have concerns please ask to see these.
Clerk of Works: Neil Newman
Deputy Clerk of Works: David Rivers
Carpenter: Darien O'Brien
Electrician: Arthur Benfield
Electrician: Carl Cullum
Maintenance Assistant: Alan Hawkins
Maintenance Assistant: Joshua Curry
Painter/Decorator: David Long
Painter/Decorator: Dean Matthews
Plumber: Tim Clarke
Plumber: James Hanslow