Wolfson Welfare and Wellbeing team

Mental Health and Wellbeing

Your wellbeing is our priority at Wolfson. Alongside specialist College provision, all students have access to resources and support from the University as well as external organisations around Cambridge.

Welfare and Wellbeing team

College Support

Wolfson employs a dedicated Student Wellbeing Advisor (SWA), Dr Kiran Bhatti, who can support you with any mental health, wellbeing, or stress-related difficulties. Dr Bhatti can offer short-term interventions and therapeutic goal setting, as well as signposting you to additional services both inside and outside the university. This service is additional to the pastoral care provided by College Tutors, a staple at the University of Cambridge.

In an emergency

In a mental health crisis, you can dial 111 and select option 2 to access the local NHS First Response Service for mental health crisis. The service is available within Cambridgeshire and Peterborough 24/7, 365 days a year.

During daytime hours, you can contact your NHS GP practice to request an urgent appointment or access help or information. NHS medical advice and help is available 24/7 by dialling 111

College Tutors (pastoral care)

Your first port of call for non-academic support will most often be your College Tutor.

Tutors are academic staff members with experience of the regulations, avenues of support and educational demands of the university. Your tutor is available to provide consultation and guidance over any personal matters relating to your studies. Your tutor also acts as the main liaison between you, the College and the University.

Tutors are also experienced in supporting students who are anxious, stressed or disorganised. They are also knowledgeable about services and professionals available to help you if you are ever in distress or suffering barriers to learning.

Student Wellbeing Advisor (SWA)

Our Student Wellbeing Advisor (SWA) Dr Kiran Bhatti can support you with any wellbeing, mental health, or stress-related difficulty. The SWA can offer short-term interventions and therapeutic goal setting. When necessary, the SWA is here to support you with signposting and referrals to additional services.

During term-time, Kiran offers drop-in sessions in Fuchs House C. During these times no appointment is necessary, and you are welcome to pop-by:

  • Mondays, 4.30pm-6pm 
  • Wednesdays, 8.30am-10am 

You can also schedule an appointment directly via Outlook or by emailing Kiran (student-wellbeing@wolfson.cam.ac.uk). Once you have booked an appointment, you will be sent a Pre-SWA Meeting Form to help you prepare for your appointment and make sure you get the most out of your time.

What happens at a SWA appointment?

At your SWA appointment you’ll meet with Kiran to talk about your current situation. This is a friendly, non-judgemental space where we work together to find solutions and supports for your needs. During this 30-minute appointment we can discuss what would be most useful to you, including:

  • Self-care strategies: Identify practical techniques to look after your mental health and wellbeing. These can include reflective journalling, mindfulness, SMART goal setting, and thought challenging.
  • Signposting to College and University Services: including, Library Services, Student Advice Service, Clubs and Societies, Cambridge Student Community Action, College Chaplaincy and others.
  • Signposting or referral to external services: Including, NHS and third sector organisations. Wellbeing Toolkit
  • Workshops and groups: Develop new skills and strategies to help you get the most out of your academic studies and life at Cambridge.
Lee Library resources

There are a range of books and resources available at the Lee Library on topics such as self-help and mindfulness.


Fitzwililam Museum

University Support

The university has a range of wellbeing and mental health services for the benefit of all students, which are summarised in the accordion sections below. For more information on support available for current students from the University, please see their dedicated Student Support pages.

University Counselling Service

The University Counselling Service (UCS) is only a five-minute cycle ride from College at the Student Services Centre. The counsellors there help many students who present with a wide variety of problems, for example issues related to work, identity, as well as personal and relationship problems. 

UCS has a large selection of self-help information available on their website.

Mental Health Advice Service

The Mental Health Advice Service supports students with mental health issues who experience a significant impact on their ability to participate in their everyday lives or academic work.

To engage with the mental health advisors (MHAs) you need a referral. If you feel you would benefit from this support, please talk to the Student Wellbeing Advisor at Wolfson.

Harassment and Violence Support Service

The university’s Harassment and Violence Support Service provides specialist emotional and practical support to anyone who has been raped, sexually assaulted, or harassed, recently or in the past. They can support you whether this happened at University or not, and can help you to access other available support services.

You can also check the information about sexual health services, procedures for reporting sexual harassment, misconduct or violence on our website.

Student Wellbeing Team

The Student Wellbeing Service supports taught and research postgraduates. The service offers online and in-person appointments and is available through the academic year, including the summer months.


Sundial Garden Wolfson

External Support

Below are some local services you can access in the Cambridgeshire area. If you require specific support, please contact the Student Wellbeing Advisor to discuss this further.

Alcohol and Drug Addiction (Change Grow Live)

Change Grow Live (CGL) provide free, confidential support and advice to anyone affected by drugs or alcohol.

Anxiety, Depression and Stress (Talking Therapies - NHS)

The NHS Talking Therapies service provides help to people who are experiencing common mental health problems such as depression and anxiety disorders, including: generalised anxiety disorder (GAD); social anxiety; post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD); health anxiety; panic; phobias and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). 

You do not need a diagnosis or referral to access the service and they also see people with problems such as stress, low confidence, sleep disturbance and self-esteem issues. You can self-refer via their website.

Bereavement (Cruse)

Cruse bereavement support have several local support services all over the UK. Cruse offer support, advice and information to children, young people and adults when someone dies and work to enhance society’s care of bereaved people.

Personalised Eating Disorder Support (PEDS)

Personalised Eating Disorder Support (PEDS) offers assessment and support for those with disordered eating. You do not need a diagnosis or referral and can self-refer here.

Rape, Sexual Abuse and Domestic Violence (Cambridge Rape Crisis)

Cambridge Rape Crisis (CRC) deliver a range of support services to women and children in Cambridgeshire who are survivors of rape, sexual abuse and violence.

Transgender Support (Cambridge Diamonds)

Cambridge Diamonds is a local support, self-help community group for transgender people, their family and friends.


Dr Kiran Bhatti
Dr Kiran Bhatti sits by the window in Plommer House

"Reaching out means you're willing to invest in yourself"

Dr Kiran Bhatti is a counselling psychologist and works as the Student Wellbeing Advisor at Wolfson College. She encourages all students to reach out when things get difficult, saying: "We all have mental health and wellbeing needs, and attending to these needs can keep us happy and healthy in the long run and means we can focus on all our other goals."

Read the full interview

1 / 3