All residential rooms at Wolfson have network sockets for the Internet access. There is no charge for this facility but you will have to apply online using your computer in your room once you have arrived at Wolfson. Follow the instructions below or in the leaflet provided in your welcome pack. Once your application has been processed, you will be able to access the Internet.
Here's how to apply for your room connection
- You need a computer with a network interface and network cable. You can buy a network cable from the Porters’ Lodge if you need one – £5, non-refundable.
- Check that your computer is set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” from a DHCP server, and if not, adjust it accordingly. Most machines default to this setting, but if in doubt, check your network settings in the Control Panel (PC) or System Preferences (Mac).
- Plug one end of the network cable into your computer, and the other end into the left-hand network socket in your room. N.B. Most rooms have two network sockets: one on the left for data, one on the right for a telephone. Always use the left-hand socket for your computer.
- Now restart your computer.
- You should now have limited network connectivity, which will enable you to access the Wolfson registration server. N.B. At this stage you will not be able to access any other website except the registration site.
- Start your web browser (e.g. Firefox, Safari etc. – any will do) and type in the following web address:
- You will now see a page entitled: Internet access from this room is disabled
- Ignore this and drop down to Apply for a New Connection and click on the link labelled:
Click here to apply for Internet access.
- This will open a copy of the College Network Policy. All users of network connections at Wolfson must read, agree to and abide by the College Network Policy as a condition of access. The policy is also available to view at www2.wolfson.cam.ac.uk/files/IT/AUP.pdf
- Once you have agreed to the Network Policy, an online application form will appear. Please follow the instructions to complete and submit it online.
How long will it take?
Your application for a room connection will be processed as soon as possible – usually within one working day of receipt.
If you need additional help with accessing the Internet, you can take your computer to the IT Office, which is located in the Jack King Building, in Front Court.