Betty Wu Lee garden

Loans & Grants

Betty Wu Lee garden

Help with tuition fees for UK students 2021-22

All eligible full-time students can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan from Student Finance England/Wales or NI to cover the cost of their University fee (up to £9,250). This loan is not means-tested and is paid by the Student Loans Company directly to the College.

If your receive a loan under Plan 2 (Sept 2012 onwards), you do not have to start repaying it until the April after you have finished your course and are earning over £25,716 per annum. The amount you must repay each month depends on your earnings — specifically, 9 percent of your earnings above £25,716. If your income falls below £25,716, repayments will be suspended. All outstanding repayments will be written off after 30 years.

Help with maintenance for UK students

Maintenance loans are available to full-time students who are considered home students and who are studying on an eligible course. Students over age 60 on the first day of the academic year can apply for a reduced rate of maintenance loan.

Some of the loan is means-tested and is dependent on household income (if you are under 25, typically your parents, or your partner if applicable). The maximum amount available for a 2021-22 cohort student (who is not entitled to social security benefits) is £9,488 for the first two years and £8,458 for the final year.

The maintenance loan is paid in three installments into your bank account at the start of every term. It has the same repayment terms and conditions as the tuition fee loan.

Overseas Students

If you are offered a place, we will send you an application form for the Cambridge Trust, which may offer you funding. You should note that these awards cannot fund your studies entirely, and you will be required to make up the shortfall from other sources.

Students from the United States can find out more information about funding on the Cambridge University Consumer information page, and you can find specific information about applying for a federal loan to study at the University of Cambridge on the US loans page.