Rotary telephone by a sofa

Mental Health

Rotary telephone by a sofa

Counselling Options

The University Counselling Service (UCS) is only a five-minute cycle ride from College at the Student Services Centre. The counsellors there help many students who present with a wide variety of problems, for example issues related to work, identity, as well as personal and relationship problems. UCS has a large selection of self-help information available on their website. Reach out to the University of Cambridge for other Student Support information and advice.

Further Support is available from:

The University Mental Health Advice Service for students with mental health issues who experience a significant impact on their ability to participate in their everyday lives or academic work; referral is by College or University staff.

PEDS for Personalised Eating Disorder Support. PEDS run a drop-in at Student Services the last Friday of the month, 10am-12pm and 2pm-4pm. Referrals and self-referrals also welcome via their online form

The University Access and Disability Resource Centre (ADRC) provide advice and support for a range of issues, including unseen impairments and long term mental health conditions. If you are affected by these and haven't already disclosed to the ADRC, then you can do so now using the webform

Psychological Wellbeing Service provide NHS mental health support.

First Response is the NHS mental health crisis service. Here is a useful video.

The Sanctuary is a safe place for those experiencing an emotional or mental health crisis. Open daily 18.00 - 01.00 Tel: 111 and select option 2.

The Samaritans give confidential, non-judgmental emotional support, 24 hours a day and 365 days a year, to people experiencing feelings of distress or despair. Tel: 01223 364455, email or check the website for information on a face-to-face meeting.

Nightline is a helpline run nightly from 19.00-07.00 by students for students during Full Term.

Shout is a free 24/7 confidential anonymous text support service for anyone in the UK. It won’t appear on your phone bill. To start a conversation, text the word 'SHOUT' to 85258.

Mind is a mental health information service for England and Wales, providing information, support and understanding. 

Mind/CPSL peer support groups for those with Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder (not necessarily diagnosed).

HOPELINE UK is run by the charity Papyrus, offers support to young people at risk of suicide, their parents and anyone concerned about a young person they know.

CAMEO NHS mental health professionals provides specialised care and support to people aged 17-35 experiencing a first episode of psychosis.

NHS: Every Mind Matters provides you with things you can do to look after your mental health.

The Royal College of Psychiatrists produce online leaflets, containing useful and informative advice about a range of mental health problems.

Beat is the working name of the Eating Disorders Association. Tel: 0808 8010677.

Change Grow Live Specialist Drug and Alcohol Service in Cambridge for support, advice and treatment: 0300 5550101 option 1, walk-in, or chat online. More info below.

BDDF relieving suffering and advancing research, treatments and awareness of Body Dysmorphic Disorder.

Blurt is a social enterprise helping those affected by Depression. Their resources promote self-compassion, awareness, understanding and support for other mental health problems.

The Kite Trust  provides free one-to-one support for LGBT+ young people under the age of 25.

Cambridge Diamonds  friendly, informal Transgender support and social group in Cambridge.

MindLine Trans+  A UK helpline offering confidential emotional, mental health support to people who identify as Trans, Agender, Gender Fluid and Non-binary.

Student Minds Cambridge is a Cambridge student support guide via StudentSpace, providing support and information.

Embarrassing Problems is a website for all those questions you wanted to ask, but never quite got round to.

Self Harm

In addition to the University and local support available for students struggling with self harm, the following national organisations are available:

Alcohol & Drug Misuse

To reduce the health risks associated with drinking alcohol, men and women are advised:

  • not to regularly drink more than 14 units a week
  • to spread drinking alcohol over three days or more if consuming this much
  • to have a few alcohol-free days each week

Students with concerns about their own or someone else's drinking can call the free, Drinkline confidential helpline (number below).

Researchers define Binge Drinking as having at least 6 units in one session for women and 8 units in one session for men. The potential protection that alcohol provides against heart disease and other diseases is only significant for people aged about 40 and over. For more information about the effects of alcohol and binge drinking visit:

  • Change Grow Live Cambridgeshire Drug and Alcohol Service for support, advice and treatment: 0300 5550101 option 1, walk-in, or chat online
  • Drinkline for confidential help: Tel: 0300 123 1110 (open weekdays 9.00–20.00, weekends 11.00–16.00)
  • Drinkaware
  • Alcoholics Anonymous
  • Camquit is Cambridgeshire stop-smoking service

Domestic Abuse

  • Women's Aid for help in situations of all forms of domestic abuse: physical, emotional, financial, online, etc. 
  • A video on coercive control


Further support is available from the University in the case of sexual misconduct. In addition, the Counselling Service has advisors in sexual assault and harassment, and self-help support.