Harassment or sexual misconduct

Guidance on handling cases of harassment or sexual misconduct

Wolfson is committed to providing an environment that is free from harassment and discrimination, and affirms the right of all members to be treated with dignity and respect, and has a Code of Conduct (.doc) regarding harassment and sexual misconduct.

The University of Cambridge promotes zero tolerance of sexual misconduct.

The College will treat any allegation seriously: if you have experienced harassment or sexual misconduct, as a first step please talk to your Tutor, in confidence.

You can read full details on the College’s policy and processes (.doc). Below is a brief overview of the approach that will be followed if you have experienced sexual harassment or misconduct and wish to make a formal complaint.

Making a formal complaint

If you decide you want to make a formal complaint, the first step is to speak with your Tutor. They will talk through your options with you – whether you could go to the police, or through either the College or University process – and will support you in whatever you decide.

In the event that you decide not to go to the police, the College process is appropriate for complaints of sexual harassment; more serious complaints regarding sexual misconduct should normally be taken to OSCAA, the University’s Office for Student Conduct, Complaints and Appeals.

If you take your complaint through the College process, you should make your complaint in writing to the Senior Tutor. You will then normally be interviewed by the Dean, accompanied by your Tutor, and if you wish, a friend. The Dean will then interview the respondent and any witnesses there might be. The Dean will subsequently prepare an investigation report that will be discussed with the Senior Tutor in order to arrive at a decision as to the next steps (see 6.2.8 in the full procedure).

The investigation process will be thorough. While we will do our best to expedite the investigation, you should be prepared for the process to take up to 20 working days.

There is an appeals process where you can request a review of decisions that are made in the investigation.

Sources of help and support

Within College

Your Tutor

College Nurse, Sally Maccallum

Out of hours, the Porter on duty

College Counsellor, Margaret Bailey


External Sources

Students’ Unions Advice Service

University Counselling Service

Cambridge Rape Crisis Centre

SARC - Sexual Assault Referral Centre

The University has produced guidance for students who have been sexually assaulted or raped. It gives information about things you might want to consider to help you make an informed choice about what to do.

Independent Sexual Violence Advisors offer confidential advice and support to both males and females who have been the victims of sexual violence.

The Elms SARC (Sexual Assault Referral Centre) is a dedicated centre in Hinchingbrooke, providing a comprehensive service to men, women and children who have been raped or sexually assaulted recently or in the past.

The CUSU Women’s Campaign have created a map of safe spaces in Cambridge at night, providing information about opening times for Porters' Lodges and other safe venues across the city.

This form enables you to report harassment and sexual misconduct anonymously, for statistical purposes only. It can be used by anyone; staff, student or visitor to the University and you can report on behalf of yourself or on behalf of someone else. It will not ask for any personal identifiable details about you or any other person involved in the incident.

Discounted safety products are available from CUSU.