Matriculation ceremony

International Students

With students, Fellows and staff from over 90 countries living and studying here, Wolfson truly welcomes the world.

Matriculation ceremony

International Students

Coming to Cambridge as an international student is an exciting and rewarding experience, and at Wolfson we have many students, Fellows and visiting academics from all over the world. Here are some things you need to consider as an international student.

The University of Cambridge has put together a very helpful International Student Guide to help you plan and get orientated when you arrive.

Academic Requirements

In whichever system you are being educated, postgraduate work at Cambridge is intense and very intellectually demanding, so the University has high academic entry requirements.

If you have not previously studied in the UK, check your relevant country guidelines to ensure the qualifications you hold are considered suitable preparation for entry to your chosen course.

English Language Requirements

Your English language skills must be good enough for you to undertake an intensive and challenging academic course that is taught and examined in English. Therefore, if your first language is not English, you may be asked to achieve one of the following formal qualifications as part of the conditions of your offer:

  • EU students: a high grade in English taken as part of a leaving examination (e.g. the European/French Baccalaureate, Abitur etc) may be acceptable
  • IELTS: a minimum overall grade of 7.5, with 7.0 in each element
  • Cambridge English: Advanced - grade A or B
  • Cambridge English: Proficiency - grade A, B or C
  • Singapore Integrated Programme (SIP): may be considered an acceptable English language qualification

Dispensation may be made if you don't have one of these formal qualifications but are currently being taught in English.

Fees & Financial Support

For details of overseas fees for Masters and PhD programmes, see the University Graduate Admissions webpages.

You will need to prove that you can finance yourself for the entire course. You should not expect to support yourself by working as the University has restrictions on working during studies. If you are bringing dependants to Cambridge, you will be required to supply evidence of having the extra financial support required.

There are various sources of financial support available to help towards your costs at Cambridge. These include:

  • Funding support from Wolfson College for postgraduate students
  • Funding support from the University for postgraduate students
  • The Cambridge Commonwealth, European & International Trust is the largest provider of funding for international students at Cambridge. Working with partners worldwide, the Trust awards approximately 500 scholarships annually, and supports between 1100 and 1400 students in residence each year. Use the Trust's Scholarship search to see the range of scholarships for which you are eligible.
  • Gates Cambridge provides scholarships to outstanding applicants from outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree.
  • The ‘Cambridge Funding Search’ publicises awards available for current and prospective students.
  • Financial support for disabled students

Visa Advice

You may need a visa to study at Cambridge. The International Student Office provides visa information on a range of UK student-related immigration matters. They can offer advice to those with an offer to study at Cambridge, current students and their family members, and advises on a range of Tier 4 and related areas of immigration. They also provide advice on work visas for after studying.

If you have an offer, you will need to submit a clearly scanned copy of the passport page that you will be using to enter the UK when you begin your studies in order for us to provide you with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number, which is required in your visa application. You will be sent an email about this including further information which will also include a deadline and instructions regarding how to securely upload your identity documents.

If you are applying for a PhD or Master's-level course in a listed science or technology subject and you will be studying in the UK on a visa, you will also need an ATAS (Academic Technology Approval Scheme) clearance certificate. Find out more on the University's Graduate Studies website.

Please note that the University can only sponsor you once you have met all conditions of your offer. We will also need to see and approve your financial undertaking form before you can receive your CAS number. Please provide us with the financial undertaking form as soon as you are able to complete it, together with a hard copy of your results as soon as you receive them.