Steve studied Physics at Lincoln College Oxford (1969-75), gaining MA and DPhil degrees while at AERE Harwell. Thereafter he has held the following positions.
- Research Associate at Rutherford Laboratory (1976-79)
- Lecturer in Physics at the University of Birmingham (1979-86)
- Lecturer in Vacuum Technology and other technical and management posts at Edwards High Vacuum (1986-97)
- Business Development Manager at Ion Science Ltd (1997-2001)
- Development Engineer at Cathodeon Ltd (2001-05)
- University of Cambridge Department of Engineering Institute for Manufacturing Inkjet Research Centre (2005-17)
- Fellow of the Institute of Physics (2011)
- PhD by incorporation (2015)
- Associate of Royal Society of Chemistry, Higher Education Academy
- Teaching Associate in Engineering Part 1 Electrical Topics at Gonville & Caius (2008-11)
- Supervisor for some Cambridge Engineering Part 1 Topics at Wolfson, Newnham and St Edmunds College
- International Electrotechnical Commission Technical Committee 119: Printed Electronics Working Group 3
Steve is also a member of the Educational Policy and Carbon Reduction Committees of Wolfson College, and a supporter for the Wolfson Research Event and Science Society. He was the Leading Inspector of Accounts (2017). He is a Fellow of the Cambridge Philosophical Society and Treasurer St Peter’s Church PCC, Papworth Everard.
Steve enjoys meeting with alumni, visitors and students from the Far East.