Local Health Services

Family Doctors - GPs (General Practitioners)

All students, whose course of study is for six months or more, must register with a local GP practice whilst they are a student at Cambridge. Registering with a GP in the UK also grants eligibility for GP and Practice Nurse consultations elsewhere across the UK, simply by filling out a visitor's form at the practice where a student would like to be seen.

Students whose course of study is less than six months are entitled to limited free NHS treatment and are therefore advised to take out medical insurance for the duration of their stay in the UK. See UKCISA for further details.

To find local GP practices use NHS Choices.

Newnham Walk Surgery, as well as being the closest GP practice to the College, is experienced in treating students and offers a high standard of service to Wolfson students. The Practice Nurses there can see students with an appointment for minor ailments that may require prescriptions, such as eye infections and dressings. Appointments to see a GP or Practice Nurse can be pre-booked online, by telephone or in person.

Out-of-hours GP cover for Cambridge is provided by Herts Urgent Care (HUC) and is based at the Urgent Treatment Centre, Clinic 9, Addenbrooke’s Hospital. This is a short walk (100m) from the Accident and Emergency department. For assessment and treatment by a GP from 18:00-08:30, and 24 hours on weekends and public holidays call 111. You will be asked to supply your post code and the name of your usual GP practice or GP. An operator will take your details and a GP will return your call. If you are asked to attend the Urgent Treatment Centre, the Porters can call a taxi for you. You are advised to take a friend with you.

Further information can be found here.

StudentHealth For comprehensive advice on local health services in Cambridge, a website has been developed by a consortium of eight central General Practices in Cambridge, each with a high student population.

Travel Advice

Fit For Travel gives travel health information for people travelling abroad from the UK.

Check with your Practice Nurse which vaccinations and extra health precautions you need for the country you are visiting. If you take prescribed medication, find out if it is legal in the country you are visiting and take with you a copy of the prescription / a doctor’s letter.


Pharmacists can advise on some minor ailments as well as dispense prescriptions. See NHS Choices to locate local pharmacies.

For local, late and weekend opening of pharmacies see below.

  • N K JANK 32a Eltisley Avenue, Newnham, 01223 322473: Monday-Friday 08:30-18:00, Saturday 08:30-13:00,
    closed for lunch Monday and Thursday 13:00-14:00
  • DAVIES Hills Road: Monday-Friday open until 18:30
  • BOOTS Petty Cury: Sunday 11:00-17:00
  • BOOTS Grafton Centre: Wednesday until 19:30, Saturday until 18:00, Sunday 11:00-17:00
  • BOOTS Newmarket Road: Monday-Friday until 20:00, Saturday until 18:00, Sunday 10:00-16:00

Dental Care

UK Dentists keep lists of regular patients to enable them to provide ongoing treatment and care both under the NHS and privately.

The College recommends that all students continue their dental care with a Cambridge dentist. This avoids time taken obtaining treatment away from Cambridge and reduces the likelihood of emergency dental work being required.

Students without a local dentist in Cambridge should choose from a list of local dentists, via NHS Choices.


Addenbrooke's Hospital NHS Trust 
Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust 
Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 0QQ
Telephone: 01223 245 151

Hospedia bedside phone system: to call a patient in the hospital; dial 0704 117 0123, followed by the patient's extension number.

Contact the ward directly for information about visiting times and whether flowers can be taken onto the ward.

Emergency Department (A&E, Casualty, ER) The Emergency Assessment Unit will respond immediately to those people who are acutely ill, or have life or limb-threatening problems. Students with minor, non-life-threatening or non-limb-threatening injuries and illnesses are advised to seek more appropriate alternative medical advice, assessment and treatment elsewhere.

Students in the UK on a visa should bring with them their IHS reference number, visa, passport and College letter of acceptance, when attending Addenbrooke’s Hospital.