Academic Requirements

As a mature student at Cambridge you are expected to have achieved the same academic standards as those required of school leavers. The intensive nature of Cambridge courses, with the requirement to produce independent work every week, does require rigorous academic preparation. Therefore, if you do not already meet our academic entrance requirements, we would recommend a course of study such as an Access to HE Diploma, A level(s) or Open University work in order to enhance subject knowledge, essay writing, autonomous study and examinations skills. Further guidance on the above qualifications can be found on the University of Cambridge website. You may also find the guidance for mature students on the UCAS website useful.

When considering any of the above options, you will also need to take into account any specific subject requirements for your chosen course of study. Please see our subjects section for the requirements at Wolfson, and also note that other colleges may have different criteria, which can be found on the Cambridge University website.

If unsure about the suitability of your qualifications for entry to Wolfson College, please contact our Undergraduate Administrator well in advance of an application, to ascertain our response to your academic preparation. She can be contacted via ugadministrator @ .

English language requirements

It is essential that your English language skills are good enough for you to undertake an intensive and challenging academic course that is taught and examined in English. Therefore, if your first language is not English, you may be asked to achieve one of the following formal qualifications as part of the conditions of your offer:

  • EU students - a high grade in English taken as part of a leaving examination (e.g. the European/French Baccalaureate, Abitur etc) may be acceptable
  • IELTS - a minimum overall grade of 7.5, with 7.0 in each element
  • Cambridge English: Advanced - grade A or B
  • Cambridge English: Proficiency - grade A, B or C
  • Singapore Integrated Programme (SIP) - may be considered an acceptable English language qualification

Dispensation may be made if you don't have one of these formal qualifications but are currently being taught in English.