Bredon House Gallery

Bredon House was built in 1914 for John Stanley Gardiner (1872-1946), Professor of Zoology, and Edith Gertrude Gardiner (nee Willcock, 1879-1953), a biochemist; who lived there with their two daughters, Nancy (1911-c.1955) and Joyce (1913-1994).  It remained their family home until after the Second World War, eventually passing to the University under the terms of John Stanley Gardiner’s will.

In 1965, this College was founded by the University of Cambridge with a single building, Bredon House, along with its extensive gardens running from Selwyn Gardens to Barton Road.  At its inception, the College was home to six students; today, it is changing the lives of almost 1,000 postgraduates, mature undergraduates and part-time students.  Bredon House has been at the heart of the College since its earliest days, and remains central to the College as it is today, and to its future.

This exhibition charts the transformation of Bredon House from family home to the heart of Wolfson College, through images from the College Archives.

Please note that this online gallery is best viewed in Firefox or Chrome.