Hardship and Travel Grants


Wolfson College Hardship Fund

The College has a small fund to help students who encounter unexpected hardship. It would be advisable to discuss your situation with your Tutor or the Student Finance Officer before you apply. You can download the application form here. As this is a very small fund, the amount of financial help we can give students is limited.

Bell, Abbott and Barnes Funds

This is a Cambridge University fund for undergraduate students with unforeseen financial difficulty. You must be a candidate for: BA (including affiliate students), BTh, MB, BChir, VetMB, MusB, CGCM, MEng, MMath, or MSci.

UK students must have applied for their full entitlement of student Maintenance Loan from the SLC before submitting an application to the Bell, Abbott, and Barnes Funds. Students are furthermore expected to have applied for all other statutory and institutional awards to which they are entitled. This includes the Maintenance Grant or Special Support Grant (or equivalent in Scotland, Wales or NI).

In addition, you should also have sought assistance from the following sources, where relevant:

  • The Cambridge Bursary Scheme
  • Faculty- or Department- managed funds (for instance, the Rebecca Flower Squire Fund for Law students),
  • Hardship support from your own College

You could receive up to a maximum of £2,000 in one year, based on assessment of your need but most grants are in the range of £100 to £1000.

More information and application form

Travel grants

Travel grants are available to help with travel costs for students who are giving a paper at an academic conference. Grants are not available for projects required as a regular part of a course, or for collecting data for research. Applications are considered on a monthly basis and the application form is available in the Tutorial Office or you can download it here.