Terms and Residence

The academic year starts with the Michaelmas Term in October. To see dates of Full Term for the current academic year, click here.

Full Term is the teaching period during which students must remain in residence. A Tutor's permission must be sought for absence from Cambridge during full term. Students are required to 'keep' terms, that is be in residence during the term, in order to qualify for the award of a degree. Most postgraduate students e.g. MPhil and PhD students, are required to keep three terms of residence per year, mature undergraduate students nine terms in total and affiliated undergraduate students six terms in total. Further details on residence requirements and permission to work away from Cambridge for graduate students is available from the Student Registry.

N.B. Part-time students have different requirements which you should be informed about when you start your course.