Rotary telephone by a sofa

Mental Health

Rotary telephone by a sofa

Counselling Options

The University Counselling Service (UCS) is only a five-minute cycle ride from College. The counsellors there help many students who present with a wide variety of problems, for example issues related to work, identity, as well as personal and relationship problems. UCS has a large selection of self-help information available on their website.

We are fortunate to have a College-based Counsellor, Margaret Bailey, in College on Fridays from 09.00 to 17.00. During Michaelmas Term 2021, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the College Counsellor and the UCS will be offering remote appointments for students both in the UK and abroad via (audio or video to suit students preferred option). Please let your College Tutor and/or the College Nurse know when things feel tough or if you need emotional support.

Further Support is available from:

The University Mental Health Advisers  for students in crisis with serious or enduring mental health problems; referral is by College or University staff.

The University Disability Resource Centre (DRC) provide advice and support for a range of issues, including unseen impairments and long term mental health conditions. If you are affected by these and haven't already disclosed to the DRC, then you can do so now using the webform

Psychological Wellbeing Service provide NHS mental health support.

First Response is the NHS mental health crisis service. Here is a useful video.

The Sanctuary is a safe place for those experiencing an emotional or mental health crisis. Open daily 18.00 - 01.00 Tel: 111 and select option 2.

The Samaritans give confidential, non-judgmental emotional support, 24 hours a day and 365 days a year, to people experiencing feelings of distress or despair. Tel: 01223 364455, email or check the website for information on a face-to-face meeting.

Nightline a helpline run nightly from 19.00-07.00 by students for students during Full Term.

Mind is a mental health information service for England and Wales, providing information, support and understanding. 

HOPELINE UK run by the charity Papyrus, offers support to young people at risk of suicide, their parents and anyone concerned about a young person they know.

CAMEO NHS mental health professionals providing specialised care and support to people aged 17-35 experiencing a first episode of psychosis.

The Royal College of Psychiatrists produce online leaflets, containing useful and informative advice about a range of mental health problems.

Beat is the working name of the Eating Disorders Association. Tel: 0808 8010677.

PEDS for Personalised Eating Disorder Support.

The Kite Trust  provides free one-to-one support for LGBT+ young people under the age of 25.

Cambridge Diamonds  friendly, informal Transgender support and social group in Cambridge.

MindLine Trans+  A UK helpline offering confidential emotional, mental health support to people who identify as Trans, Agender, Gender Fluid and Non-binary.

Student Minds Cambridge is a Cambridge student support guide.

Embarrassing Problems is a website for all those questions you wanted to ask, but never quite got round to.

Self Harm

In addition to the University and local support available for students struggling with self harm, the following national organisations are available:

Alcohol & Drug Misuse

To reduce the health risks associated with drinking alcohol, men and women are advised:

  • not to regularly drink more than 14 units a week
  • to spread drinking alcohol over three days or more if consuming this much
  • to have a few alcohol-free days each week

Students with concerns about their own or someone else's drinking can call the free, Drinkline confidential helpline (number below).

Researchers define Binge Drinking as having at least 6 units in one session for women and 8 units in one session for men. The potential protection that alcohol provides against heart disease and other diseases is only significant for people aged about 40 and over. For more information about the effects of alcohol and binge drinking visit:

  • Drinkline for confidential help: Tel: 0300 123 1110 (open weekdays 9.00–20.00, weekends 11.00–16.00)
  • Drinkaware
  • Alcoholics Anonymous
  • Camquit is Cambridgeshire stop-smoking service

Domestic Abuse

  • Women's Aid for help in situations of all forms of domestic abuse: physical, emotional, financial, online, etc. 
  • A video on coercive control


Further support is available from the University in the case of sexual misconduct. In addition, the Counselling Service has an advisor in sexual assault and harassment, and self-help support.