Spring ribes in the garden by Fiona Gilsenan

Health & Wellbeing

Wolfson has support in place to keep you mentally and physically healthy to meet the demands of studying at Cambridge.

Spring ribes in the garden by Fiona Gilsenan

College Nurse

Wolfson College Nurse, Sally Maccallum, offers weekday drop-in clinics at Morrison House (times below) with no pre-booking necessary. If you would like to see her outside clinic hours, please contact her with a few days’ notice to arrange a mutually agreeable time. She can help with a range of health or welfare issues, including minor illness and injury, advice, and emotional support, and always has time to listen. Other provision includes: removal of sutures, health information, relaxation, avoiding stress and signposting to other services.

Clinic Times no appointment necessary
Monday 11.00-12.00
Tuesday 11.00-12.00
Wednesday 11.00-12.00
Thursday 10.00-12.00, 15.00-16.00
Friday 11.00-12.00

If you feel unwell or have a welfare issue whilst in College, you should inform the College Nurse or Porters, or access your GP, as appropriate.

When the College Nurse is not in College, if you become ill or injured and need medical help or advice, choose well by using the right service for your needs.

Contact details:

Tel: +44 1223 335 901


Self-care is the best choice to treat minor illnesses, ailments and injuries. A range of common illnesses and complaints, such as coughs and colds, sore throats, upset stomachs, and aches and pains can be treated with a well-stocked medicine cabinet and plenty of rest.

The Porters can help you with first aid. Tel: 01223 335900.

NHS 111

Call 111 when you need medical help or advice urgently for non life-threatening situations. You will be asked questions to assess your symptoms, and given healthcare advice or directed to the local service that can best help. Further information about the NHS and be found here.

Student Health Guides

Click to Download the NHS Student Guide
Click to download the NHS Student Guide
MyHealth Cambridgeshire & Peterborough
Free MyHealth app
Download the MyHealth app from the App Store.


Pharmacists at local chemists (drug stores) can give you confidential expert advice about over the counter medication and minor illness.

Doctor (GP)

Make an appointment to see your GP (General Practitioner/family doctor) for a range of services. Call 111 for the GP out-of-hours service overnight, at weekends and on public holidays, and then let the Porters know. On-call GPs are based at the Urgent Treatment Centre, clinic 9, Addenbrooke’s Hospital and the Porters can help with transport, if required.

First Response Service

Call NHS 111 and select option 2 if you (or someone you know) are in crisis and need mental health care, help and support.

Accident & Emergency Department (A&E/ER/Casualty)

In a genuine emergency, you should call 999 then inform the Porters: 01223 335900. The nearest A&E is at Addenbrooke's Hospital for conditions such as a suspected broken bone, road accident, a severe wound that requires stitching, suspected heart attack or any other life-threatening condition.


If you have had a serious allergic reaction or a food allergy, you should provide written information about this on your College Health Form if you are asked to complete one, otherwise you should speak to the College Nurse as soon as possible. In some cases, it will be necessary for the College Nurse to discuss your allergy with you before you come to College or within the first 48 hours of your arrival. You should also introduce yourself to College catering staff to let them know about your allergy and declare your allergy when signing up for Formal Hall dinners and other College "organised" meals.

Confidentiality & Records

The College Nurse exercises her duty of confidentiality to all students and respects your right to privacy. Information shared with the College Nurse is kept strictly confidential; as with all health care environments, sharing information without consent would only occur in exceptional circumstances. Student health records are stored and processed in accord with current health and personal data protection regulations. Further information about this can be found here.

Sally Maccallum
Sally Maccallum

An experienced Registered General Nurse, Sally trained in Glasgow in 1985. She holds further qualifications in Counselling from the University of Cambridge, and Health Service Management from the Royal College of Nursing. She has been working as Wolfson College nurse since 2009, and also worked as Downing College nurse from 2000-2017. She is currently employed by Wolfson on a part-time basis and able to see College members every weekday at her drop-in clinics.

1 / 3