wash your hands

Coronavirus: Welfare FAQs

During this difficult period the College will do its best to support you whether you are in Cambridge or elsewhere, with virtual nurse appointments, mental health support from the University and of course your Tutors.

wash your hands

Updated 1 April 2020.

Your physical health

I feel unwell, who should I contact?

Whilst our own College Nurse, Sally Maccallum, remains on leave (for reasons unrelated to coronavirus), Jan Brighting, College Nurse at Pembroke College and the University Liaison Nurse for COVID-19, will be operating a 'virtual clinic' for Wolfson students between 11.00 and 12.00, Monday-Friday.

Jan replaces Rebecca Walton, who had been conducting the virtual clinic for the past week. We are very grateful to Pembroke College and to Jan for agreeing to assist us in this way.

You may email Jan at any time with questions or concerns. 

Jan will then respond to your messages during her 'virtual clinic hours'.  In your email please include your name, CRSID and  phone number where she can reach you between 11.00 and 12.00, Monday-Friday.

I think I have symptoms of COVID-19, what should I do?

The current NHS guidance is to self-isolate or stay at home for 7 days if you have:

  • a high temperature 
  • a new continuous cough

(Many people affected by COVID-19 also describe muscle aches and loss of sense of smell or taste).

If you require emergency medical assistance, dial 999 and inform the Porters so that they are able to direct the emergency services as needed.

Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital.

You do not need to contact NHS 111 to tell them you’re staying at home.

NHS will not be testing people who are self-isolating with mild symptoms.

I am in Cambridge and think that I am more vulnerable to more serious COVID-19 related disease. What should I do?

Check the current PHE advice on vulnerable persons to see if your health condition does indeed make you more vulnerable. The NHS will be sending letters to vulnerable people in the coming weeks with specific advice. If you haven’t received a letter but think you should contact your GP or NHS consultant’s office directly and discuss their advice with the College immediately.

If you consider yourself vulnerable, make your condition known to the College Nurse, or your Tutor or Senior Tutor. Vulnerable students who find themselves in ‘household isolation' should take specific advice from the College Nurse, Tutor or Senior Tutor. If in doubt, please always ask for advice and call NHS111 if necessary.

If I stay in College and fall ill what help will the College be able to provide?

The College will not be able to provide routine nursing care. We shall check once a day, at minimum, on those we know are self-isolating (SI) or household isolating (HI). We previously invited students to volunteer as self-isolation supporters. Now, we encourage all remaining students to nominate 2 willing people – also staying Cambridge, who are willing to help each other.

Your mental health

I am stressed and anxious about COVID-19. Where can I get support?

We understand it’s a really difficult time for everyone, and may be especially tough if you are away from friends and family, or become ill. Your first point of contact is your Tutor. They will be able to provide further guidance and support by email and/or phone.

We are concerned about the loneliness some students may feel. Where possible we will also provide online advice/support, again assuming the staff are well enough. Your Tutor will also keep in touch via email.

For NHS assistance with any Mental Health concerns, please dial 111, then select Option 2. Services are available 24 hours a day including evenings, weekends and during Bank holidays.

Will mental health services be available to me even when I am out of residence?

You are still eligible for help even if you are not currently resident in Cambridge. Your Tutor, or a duty Tutor, will be available for consultation via email. The University Counselling Service is putting in place arrangements for counselling by telephone for appointments already made, and will be developing these plans. Our College-based Counsellor will also be offering appointments by telephone once the Easter term begins.

Other sources of mental health support in Cambridge:

University guidance on mental health during the outbreak

Cambridge University Students' Union has created a Coronavirus webpage with information and sign-posting to other sources of support

Corona Support Group administered by Christ's MCR Facebook page

Cambridge University Counselling Service Facebook page

Cambridge University Disability Resource Centre can offer phone or Skype appointments

Cambridge University coronavirus buddy system; sign up to the Google doc if you can offer to help others

Financial concerns

I am suffering financial hardship because of this, can the College help?

If students are suffering from financial hardship as a result of travel and other arrangements made, please consult your Tutor and also complete a College Hardship ApplicationThe University’s Special Hardship Fund has set aside funding specifically to assist students who are experiencing financial difficulties related to Covid-19. Please note that applications for the University’s Special Hardship Fund require you to have researched College or other hardship support.