Loans and Grants

British notes and coinsHelp with tuition fees for UK and EU students 2018-19

All eligible* full-time students can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan from Student Finance England to cover the cost of their University fee (up to £9,250). This loan is not means-tested and is paid by the Student Loans Company direct to the College.

Students must begin repaying loans once they have left their course and are earning over £21,000 per annum. The amount a student must pay each month depends on earnings, and repayments will be 9% of income above £21,000. If income falls below £21,000, repayments will be suspended. All outstanding repayments will be written off after 30 years.

*UK and EU students who have been resident in the UK for more than 3 years before for the first day of the first academic year of your course. For more information contact the Student Finance Services European Team

Help with maintenance for home students

Maintenance loans are available to full-time students who are considered home students* and who are studying on an eligible course. Students over age 60 on the first day of the academic year can apply for a reduced rate of maintenance loan.

Some of the loan is means-tested and is dependent on household income (usually your parents if you are under 25, or your partner if applicable). The maximum amount available for a 2018-19 cohort student (who is not entitled to social security benefits) is £8,700 for the first two years and £8228 for the final year.

The maintenance loan is paid in three installments into your bank account at the start of every term. It has the same repayment terms and conditions as the tuition fee loan (see above).

* UK and EU students who have been resident in the UK for for more than 5 years before the first day of the first academic year of your course. For more information contact the Student Finance Services European Team

Overseas students

If you are offered a place, we will send you an application form for the Cambridge Trust, which may offer you funding. You should note that these awards cannot fund your studies entirely, and you will be required to make up the shortfall from other sources.

Support for medical students

Standard 6-year medical course (UK, and EU* students)
A new student who starts a standard medical course in October 2018 is treated for four years as any other new student, charged the University fee of £9,250 (2018-19 rate) and eligible for the same package of support as other students, including a fee loan and a maintenance loan.

In the final two years of the medical course students become eligible for a means-tested NHS Bursary, and the NHS also meets the cost of fees on a non-means tested basis. Students cease to be eligible for all other forms of government support, with the exception of a reduced rate non means-tested maintenance loan. In addition, an NHS Grant is available to English and Welsh students.

*EU students commencing their studies in 2018 should note that NHS tuition fee support arrangements have not yet been confirmed by the UK government.

Graduate medical course (4 years)
Download this information sheet (.doc) on Student Support for Cambridge Graduate Course in Medicine (2018 Entry)

Other government help for home students

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs)
Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are dependent on individual need, not household income. DSAs are paid on top of your student finance and you don’t have to pay them back. DSAs help with the cost of:

  • specialist equipment, like computer software
  • non-medical helpers, like a note-taker or reader
  • extra travel costs you have to pay because of your disability
  • other costs, like photocopying

DSAs do not cover disability-related costs you would have if you were not attending a course, or costs that any student might have.

The figures below are the maximum for a full-time undergraduate:   

  • Specialist equipment: up to £5,358 for the whole course
  • Non-medical helper: up to £21,305 a year
  • General allowance: up to £1,790 a year

Parents’ Learning Allowance
The Parents’ Learning Allowance is worth up to £1,617 a year (non-payable), depending on household income. It is intended to help with course-related costs for students with dependent children.

Adult Dependents' Grant
If you have a husband, wife or partner, or another adult family member who depends on you financially, you may be eligible for an Adult Dependents' Grant of up to £2,834 a year (non-repayable). The amount depends on household income.

Childcare Grant
The Childcare Grant is for full-time students with dependent children in registered or approved childcare. The amount payable depends on household income and actual childcare costs. The maximum available is 85% of weekly childcare costs up to a maximum of £159.59 a week for one child, or £273.60 a week for two or more children. This grant is non-repayable.