To use any of the college pianos or keyboards please fill in an application form (also available at the Porters' Lodge) and leave it in the College Secretary's pigeonhole. There is a Yamaha grand piano in the Lee Hall which is available to pianists with Grade 8 or above. The OCR has a baby grand and an old upright piano, and there is a good upright piano for practice purposes in the Seminar Room. In the Club Room there is an electronic piano. There is also a harpsichord in the Lee Hall (permission to play this must also be obtained using the form above and is at the discretion of the Director of Music). To book any of these instruments, or the rooms mentioned, for practice purposes, please email accommodation at wolfson.cam.ac.uk. Keys for the pianos should be signed out from the Porters' Lodge. (photo © Daniel Oi)
A New Piano - fundraising
We are delighted that following our recent piano-a-thon we have now raised £26,000 towards the £65,000 needed to purchase a new Steinway Grand Piano for the Lee Hall. If you would like to help us get closer to our target please contact http://www.wolfson.cam.ac.uk/alumni/donate
Please contact the Director of Music (music at wolfson.cam.ac.uk) if you would like to borrow a metronome.
There are music stands in the Lee Hall and OCR. The metal folding stands may be used in other College rooms but should be returned after use. Please do not remove the wooden music stands or the black metal music stands from the Lee Hall or OCR.
The Society has a small library of chamber music which may be borrowed. Please ask a committee member for details.
Music Society noticeboard
Please check the notice board in the corridor on the ground floor of Bredon House for information about musical activities in College and advertisements for local concerts.
Useful web links
Here is a small selection of links to sites likely to be of interest to members of the Music Society and Choir:
- Choral Public Domain Public Library (CPDL) - free choral/vocal scores, texts, translations and other useful information
- http://imslp.org/ - free scores from the Petrucci Music Library
- Cyberbass - Resources to promote innovative learning amongst choral singers
- Oxford Music Online - This subscription service is available free of charge and without a password from within the Cam domain; a Raven password is needed to access the service from elsewhere. It includes Grove Music Online.
- CUMS - Cambridge University Musical Society
- West Road Concert Hall
- BBC Singers