Professor Sir David Williams inaugurated as Chancellor of Swansea University

Professor Sir David WilliamsFormer Wolfson President Professor Sir David Williams was inaugurated as the first Chancellor of Swansea University in a ceremony on September 10th.

This is a new office, created following the change in status of Swansea University.

Educated at Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, Carmarthen, Sir David went on to read History and Law at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, where he completed his MA and LLB.

Subsequently he was called to the Bar and was a Commonwealth Fund (Harkness) Fellow at Berkeley and Harvard 1956-58. He then taught at the University of Nottingham for five years and at the University of Oxford from 1963-67.

In 1967 he returned to Emmanuel College as a Fellow in Law; he became Reader in Public Law in 1976, President of Wolfson College from 1980 to 1992 and was Rouse Ball Professor of English Law 1983-92. He was Vice-Chancellor of Cambridge University from 1989 to 1996 and remains an Emeritus Vice-Chancellor of the university.

In 1994, Sir David was appointed as an Honorary QC (Queen's Counsel), a distinction that he is particularly proud of.

Sir David has served over the years on such bodies as the Council on Tribunals, the Royal Commission on the Environment, the Commission on Energy and the Environment, the Animal Procedures Committee (of which he was chairman), and more recently the Senior Salaries Review Body. He was appointed President of the University in 2001.

(The image used in this article, and some of the text, is reproduced with the kind permission of Swansea University)