To use any of the College pianos or keyboards please fill in an application form (also available at the Porters' Lodge) and hand it to the porters for the attention of Sheila Betts. There is a Yamaha grand piano in the Music Room in Fuchs House, along with a Chappell Baby Grand piano in the Combination Room, which are available to pianists with Grade 7 or above. The OCR has a baby grand, and there is a good upright piano for practice purposes in the Seminar Room. The digital piano in the Club Room is for all to enjoy.
There is also a harpsichord in the Lee Hall, donated by Professor Brian Moore, and a chamber organ in the Lee Hall Foyer, donated by Silas Wollston. Permission to play these instruments must also be obtained using the form above and is at the discretion of the Director of Music.
The Steinway grand piano in the Lee Hall, donated by Dr Roger Briscoe and Professor Linda Wicker, may only be used by advanced players (Diploma level or Music graduate). As well as completing the application form above please email the Director of Music (music at wolfson.cam.ac.uk) enclosing a copy of the relevant qualifications to gain access.
Silas Wollston has kindly given us a long-term loan of his beautiful chamber organ, which is kept in the foyer of the Lee Hall. It is a copy of a 17th-century English chamber organ, perfect for Purcell and earlier repertoire (Coprario, Lawes) but also useful for continuo. It is a single manual instrument which can play at four pitches 390-415-440-460hz, and has four stops (8', 8', 4', 2'). It can be moved into the hall to accompany college services and concerts.
To book any of the instruments, or the rooms mentioned, for practice purposes please email accommodation at wolfson.cam.ac.uk. Keys for the pianos should be signed out from the Porters' Lodge. (photo © Daniel Oi)
There are music stands in the Lee Hall, Fuchs House Music Room and OCR. Please do not remove these without permission from the Director of Music.
The Society has an extensive choral library. Please email the Director of Music for details.
There is also a selection of sheet music available, mostly for piano or violin, including chamber music, in the Fuchs House Music Room. A number of opera scores are also available. Feel free to browse but please complete the borrowing book if you take a score out of the room. There is a large selection of music reference books in the Lee Library.
Music Society Notice Board
Please check the notice board in the corridor on the ground floor of Bredon House for information about musical activities in College and advertisements for local concerts.
Useful web links
Here is a small selection of links to sites likely to be of interest to members of the Music Society and Choir:
- Choral Public Domain Public Library (CPDL) - free choral/vocal scores, texts, translations and other useful information
- http://imslp.org/ - free scores from the Petrucci Music Library
- Cyberbass - Resources to promote innovative learning amongst choral singers
- Oxford Music Online - This subscription service is available free of charge and without a password from within the Cam domain; a Raven password is needed to access the service from elsewhere. It includes Grove Music Online.
- CUMS - Cambridge University Musical Society
- West Road Concert Hall
- BBC Singers
- Cambridge Concert Calendar - free online list of Cambridge concerts
- Sight Singing School - an online subscription sight singing course
- ABRSM - Music Exam board.
- Gerontius - Choral Music Resources