Emotional Support and Wellbeing

The University Counselling Service

This service is only a five-minute cycle ride from the College. The counsellors there help many students who present with a wide variety of problems, for example issues related to work, identity, as well as personal and relationship problems. Appointments are usually made by completing an on-line 'pre-counselling form', which enables students to be placed with an appropriate counsellor as quickly as possible.

Linkline telephone 01223 367575, or network (7) 44444: a helpline run nightly from 19:00-08:00 by students for students during Full Term.

CAMEO is a group of mental health professionals who provide expert specialised care and support to people aged 17-35 experiencing a first episode of psychosis, helping them to take control, manage their mental health and enjoy life. They are happy for people to phone for a chat, and if their interventions won't help they will suggest other sources of help and care.

The Royal College of Psychiatrists produce online leaflets, containing useful and informative advice about a range of mental health problems.

Mind is a mental health information service for England and Wales. They provide information, support and understanding to help create a better life for those who experience mental distress. They have a huge number of really good leaflets and factsheets well worth looking at, which cover both very common and less common issues.

The Samaritans - telephone 01223 364455 (Cambridge Branch) for confidential, non-judgmental emotional support, 24 hours a day and 365 days a year. Always there for people experiencing feelings of distress or despair. This is offered by telephone, email, letter and face-to-face.

YoungPAPYRUS has a website, for students by students. It offers useful tips, advice and links to further information to help with some of the lows that may be faced at university.

Juliet Bristow, University Mental Health Adviser: jb732 @cam.ac.uk or 01223 768566. Juliet supports students with serious or enduring mental health problems whilst helping them access the specialist services they need. Contact her directly by email or phone for advice.

Eating Disorders helpline 08456 341414, help @b-eat.co.uk. beat is the working name of the Eating Disorders Association.

Embarrassing Problems - the website for all those questions you wanted to ask, but never quite got round to.

Self Harm

In addition to the University and local support available for students struggling with this, the following national organisations are available:

Alcohol and Drug Misuse

The recommended daily alcohol allowance is 2-3 units for women and 3-4 units for men. Students with concerns about their own or someone else's drinking can call the free, Drinkline confidential helpline (number below).

Researchers define Binge Drinking as having at least 6 units in one session for women and 8 units in one session for men. The potential protection that alcohol provides against heart disease and other diseases is only significant for people aged about 40 and over. For more information about the effects of alcohol and binge drinking visit:

  • Drinkline for confidential help: 0800 917 8282 (open 24 hours)
  • Drinkaware
  • Alcoholics Anonymous
  • Camquit - Cambridgeshire stop-smoking service
  • DAAT - the Cambridgeshire Drug and Alcohol Action Team provides information and treatment

Sexual Health

The Laurels Cambridge Contraception & Sexual Health Service clinic. The Laurels offers a full range of contraceptive methods (some of which may not be available from the GP), as well as testing for sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy testing.

Clinic 1A (Genito-Urinary Medicine)

SHAC (Sexual Health Advice Centre)

FPA (Family Planning Association)

Sex - worth talking about Straightforward information and advice to make it easier to discuss everything to do with sexual health

Student Advice Service CUSU Sexual Health Information