Finance and funding

Student in Club Room

  • Postgraduate Loans
    You can apply for a loan of up to £10,000 as a contribution to your course and living costs. If your course is longer than one year you can claim up to £5,000 in the first year and the rest in year 2. The loan is paid in three instalments over the academic year. You must be studying a taught or research Master's course, live in England and be under 60 at the start of the first academic year of the course. You will start repayment in the April after you complete or leave your course if you earn over £6,000 per year. The repayments are 6% of income over £21,000. Additional information can be found at
  • Professional and Career Development Loan
    The Department for Education in partnership with Cooperative Bank operates a deferred repayment loan system. You can borrow between £300 and £10,000 towards your fees and other expenses if you are on a vocational full time, part-time or distance learning course lasting up to 2 years. Loans are available across the UK. The PCDL is available as well as the postgraduate loan (see above) but the repayment terms are less favorable as this is a bank loan which becomes repayable at the end of the two-year period. For more information go to
  • Studentships
    There are a number of Studentships available for new entrants annually. Applications are made between January and March for a 31 March 2017 deadline. Awards are made on the basis of academic excellence and financial hardship. Further information and an application form can be found here.
  • Cambridge Trusts
    Cambridge University have Trust money to help students to fund their studies. For more information go to
  • Wolfson College Travel/Research Fund
    This fund provides grants for fieldwork or research expenses, travel or for those presenting work at international academic conferences.
  • Hardship Fund
    Help in cases of unforeseen and unexpected financial difficulties (as distinct from failure to access funds which were guaranteed as part of the admissions procedure). Such help may be in the form of adjusted payment schedules or a loan or, in cases of serious hardship, a grant.We also have bursaries for students in hardship such as the Chris Hale Bursary.

  • Student Finance Advice on identifying and obtaining financial assistance for ongoing study and living costs can be provided by our dedicated Student Finance Officer, Ms Jeanette Jones (studentfinance, who is able to provide advice on all financial matters.

    Wolfson students can also apply for grants via their tutors on their students’ behalf to a wide variety of University-based funds and charities. You could also try and